This heavy passenger car was depicted with no roof and with an open passenger compartment containing an antiaircraft machine gun. The new kit includes a roof and clear plastic for the windscreen and glazing. This 4x4 heavy car was produced from 1938 onwards, and it served in all theaters of WWII. The original Type 1a had four-wheel steering, while the later Type 1b produced from 1940 onwards had regular front-wheel steering. This vehicle possessed four-wheel drive, but production ceased in 1941 as part of German efforts to standardize production. The personnel carrier was powered by a V8 Horch engine of 3.823-litre capacity.
The car body (which contains three bench seats able to accommodate five passengers and the driver) is made as a single slide-molded piece in order to simplify construction and ensure perfect alignment. So as to produce an incredible level of detail, the floor plate and its tread pattern is made of photo-etched metal. The new windows and canvas roof are all made from transparent plastic. These new parts give the vehicle a brand new look, and would contribute to an interesting cold-weather diorama. As before, there are TWO complete Type 40 passenger car models inside the box, making this kit even more compelling!